Friday, March 1, 2013

Winter Alternatives


With pretty poor conditions in Tahoe and some really nice, unseasonable weather in the forecast, I decided to look into some alternate activities out of Tahoe. The Tuolumne River, just outside of Yosemite Park, it's one of my favorite out of season places to visit for both camping and fishing. Other than being the overflow of SF’s drinking supply, it’s primarily used for whitewater boating through the summer. Come September, they shut the dam ‘off’ for maintenance, and flows stay relatively low and ideal for fishing until boating kicks back up, in May. Daytime temps looked like mid-60’s so I loaded the truck, and Ellie and I spent a few days camping, fishing and hiking in the Tuolumne river canyon. I arrived in the dark and when I awoke, flows were a bit higher than anticipated. Fishing was tough, but I managed to get a few Rainbows in hand. On my final day in the canyon, Ellie convinced me to follow her on a walk that turned into a 15-mile hike, from our camp, near the confluence of the South Fork, down river, to Clayey Falls. Ellie asked to be put to bed in the tent around 7PM, and the only dogs barking that night were my feet and legs.

Early Friday AM, we packed back up and jumped in the truck to catch up with Frank & my father on The Lower American, to float and try our hand at some Steelhead on a new river. Temps were in the low 70’s and it turned out to be a prettier float than anticipated, given it’s close proximity to a major Cali city – as well as a fruitful trip for Frank, as I think he landed his largest Steelhead to date – unfortunately, undocumented.

Definitely a good change of pace to a normal snowy & cold Tahoe winter, though fingers are crossed that the warm dry pattern here in the West changes soon.




Sunset view on the way to Tuolumne


One of my favorite car camps in Cali


Just a little guy, but one of the Trout I caught


Afternoon beer on the river


Pretty narrow roads all around the river valley, but had to venture out to find some wood to stay warm


Views from the road down to the river


Enough wood for a proper fire


Ellie's not so sure about safety being first here


Eating pretty well out on the rio


Temps at night were around freezing so Ellie got bundled up


Brisk but nice AM in the tent


New signs this season


Lots of downed trees on the trail


Stunning look up canyon from the hike to Clavey


The infamous Clavey Falls – low water


Standard selfie around 12 miles in


Almost back to the trail head in the late afternoon light


Evening light from the campsite


After 20 miles or so on her paws, Ellie is looking for something more than kibble


A first-time, delicious treat for the pup


Looks as though she's enjoyed it


One final AM-light look back up the river canyon


Swinging flies on the American with my dad, Frank & Maple


Franks celebratory beer after nailing a big one


Frank looking for a pickup late in the day

No comments:

Post a Comment