Sunday, May 5, 2013

Yosemite & The Mighty Merced


Springtime in CA means a few great things activity-wise. With warmer temps, snow in the high elevations starts to melt and descend from the mountains to our low lakes. During that journey, free flowing rivers swell and rush, and whitewater boating season is at it’s peak; in addition, the numerous waterfalls in Yosemite just gush into the valley.

With some begging and pleading, I managed to get a friend and her dad (Nina & Rob – who are very accomplished and big boaters), to join me on a trip to the Class IV section of the Merced River, just a few miles out of Yosemite National Park. We attempted the float last May, but missed the water by just a few days. This go around, we hit it just right. Flow was about 2,800 when we put on at Redbud for some exhilarating whitewater action.

After a day of rafting, I parted ways with the Dreyer’s & their friends and headed into Yosemite to spend a few days tromping around the park. I believe I’ve only been to Yosemite once in my life, and that was during an end-of-year 8th grade class trip. I, along with a few of my fellow classmates, biked from SF to the park. I think that the bike trip overshadowed the actual visit to Yosemite because this go around everything felt 100% new to me. I don’t know if saying I was blown away is enough to communicate just how unbelievable I thought it was. Yosemite isn’t just a treasure of the state or country, but it’s an absolute treasure of the universe.

With some great reco’s from my buddy Ari, I managed to see a ton of the valley by foot & bike, and also stayed at the amazing Camp 4, which is a no reservation camp on the valley floor mostly frequented by climbers, hippies and dirtbags. It was one of the best ‘car camping’ experiences I’ve ever had – very sociable and cool people everywhere.

While it wasn’t a huge winter, it has been a warm early spring and though waterfalls weren’t at their maximum, they certainly were impressive every way you looked. In my few days there, I hike to Yosemite Falls,  biked the valley floor and checked out Mirror Lake & Half Dome, and hiked Vernal & Nevada Falls as well. My feet were sore but the few days in Yosemite will certainly be remembered. It’s amazing that with all the travel this year, one of the absolute highlights is found right in my backyard.

After Yosemite, I popped back to SF to catch up with Brian to return again to the mighty Merced, this time without the help and careful watch of zen master Rob & Nina. For one of the days on the river I was joined by a Camp 4 friend/traveler, Rich. Over the weekend, Brian and I managed to navigate the Class IV water safely, which is a big step up, and accomplishment in our boating careers. Flow was a bit lower than earlier in the week, but still big and fun. Looks like water will probably continue to taper, and I imagine it will be over up there within a week. We hit it just right.




Bow princess Nina guiding me through my first big run on the Merced



Commercial boat running through Neds while we scout


First views of Yosemite Falls from the trail on the hike up


On my way up, passing the base of the falls


Stunning view of Yosemite Falls with Half Dome across the valley


Water approaches the edge


Long way down with several cascades to make it 2,425' to the valley floor


Lunchtime view down the valley and of Half Dome


Evening light on my bike ride around the valley loop


Stunning sun-kissed walls across the meadow


Half Dome with evening light



Reflections in Mirror Lake


Vernal Falls from the very wet Mist Trail


I suppose they don't call it the Mist Trail for nothing – rainbow arches over The Merced at the bottom of Vernal Falls


Close proximity with an impressive view of Nevada falls


High up on the Merced – I imagine this water will be at Red Bud with in 10 hours or so


Giving the feet a rest at the top of Nevada Falls – Merced river below and Yosemite Valley floor in the distance


Looking back at Nevada Falls from The John Muir Trail


A final view of Half Dome with afternoon light as I pack to head home


Parting view of the magnificent Yosemite Falls – both lower and upper


B-Mac all rigged up for the weekend


Rich putting some unbased trust in me at put-in



The only 'oh shit' moment of our day – oars out of hand and boat is surfed sideways above the Class IV Chipped Tooth 


Rich getting a face full in Neds


Evening time on the river, making miles to takeout



This spread is starting to look a little too familiar to me


Nice river campsite on the Merced


Kate & Brian coming out of the Taj


B-Mac ready for a second day on the river


Pushing through it & staying upright




Brian scouting Neds


Boater comes through while we scout – can you see him?


Brian upright out the bottom of Neds


The moment before the water hits


Working hard & getting wet







No comments:

Post a Comment